View Single Post
Old July 22, 2012   #12
kenny_j
Tomatovillian™

Jennifer, as a child I spent every summer with my Grandparents on their farm in Nebraska, I cant tell you how many times I got poked by an electric fence.
One time they had it running as a cross over to the next area about 5 feet off the ground, so you could duck under it to get to the barn. I forgot to duck and kissed it hard with my forehead . I HATE when that happens!!!!

Human urine will NOT work. I have read that dear hunters when using mock scrapes actually pee on them if they happen not to have deer urine, and it works well to attract the deer. I have hung out a smelly tee shirt after working in the sun all day, or an old pair of wet sneakers. As others have said, change it up, deer are smart! My neighbor told me yesterday that liquid fence works well. He works at a hardware/farm store and has tried them all. Tomatoes dissappearing may be the work of woodchucks or raccoons, get a live trap. The last few days we have caught 2 woodchucks and one coon, and the vanishing maters has stopped. The rain washed out the smelly shirts and the deer ate an entire short row of pole beans. Going for the liquid fence now. Add: Just read the ads for liquid fence, and they avoid mentiong any edible plants, so my guess would be don't use it directly in the garden.
ken

OK, adding again, just read the MSDS on liquid fence, its main components are rotted egg and garlic, plus several items that are all generally used as food additives for presevation, thickening and soubility. Still I would not spray directly on edibles.

Last edited by kenny_j; July 22, 2012 at 10:50 AM. Reason: add
kenny_j is offline   Reply With Quote