View Single Post
Old September 20, 2006   #9
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Quote:
Tom, I will try to do my best to grab some seeds for you here at our Potato Research Institute. I know some people in the local Vegetable Institute and they are very close Wink What would you like most?
Andrey,

If you will visit my post about Foreign Varieties, you will see that I have only a few that you know well. I am always looking for new varieties to breed with, and potato clones are difficult to request without extreme measures such licensing, import restrictions, material transfer agreements and the like.

Any true seed or in vitro plants that I import from overseas may have to undergo quarantine and testing for viruses before it can be sent on to me. The USDA, APHIS Plant Germplasm Quarantine Program does the quarantine and testing in Beltsville, MD. They run tests between September and May of each year. They have a limited number of potatoes that they can test each year, so it is important to get any requests for foreign material to them yearly. They usually do about 50-75 introductions per year. The USDA assigns slots in the program on a first-come, first served basis. An introduction is one clone or one lot of seeds. Only healthy introductions are released and shipped to the requesting US party. The quarantine and testing period is usually 6-9 months.

If I decide to import the material from Belarus, I may have to get a copy of the MTA from Belarus. The USDA will send the import permit directly to Belarus and they will then ship the potato cultures and/or seeds directly to them. Potatoes that test negative for pathogens will then be shipped to me from that program. They will send me 3-5 cultures of each in vitro potato or the seeds that remain in the seed lot after 20-25 are removed to testing.

The quarantine unit is not involved in the transfer of money from me to Belarus. The UDSA Aphis Plant Germplasm Quarantine Program testing program does not charge a fee since the tests are mandated by federal law. They operate at the tax payers' expense.

Please feel free to contact

Plant Pathologist
USDA, APHIS, PGQP
Bldg. 580 Powder Mill Road
BARC-East
Beltsville, MD 20705

Since not all varieties will set seed (berries), what I am looking for is probably a moot point. Anything that sets seed is desired. Ask your Potato Research Institute what they might have available.

Andrey, I wish to apologize about not listing Belarus in the most important potato producing countries. It seems so much of the SU ( Soviet Union) info on potatoes over-shadows the information I seek about Belarus. I am trying to reconstruct on this post what I think might be in your country. You have already been quite generous in listing some already.

Belorussky 3

Belorussky Krachmalisty

Belorussky Ranny

Dobro

Jasien (Jason)

Komsomolets 20

Lasunok

Loshisky (LOSCHISTSKIJ, I have)

Losickij

Naroc

Ogonek (I have)

Olev

Prigozgy 2

Razvaristy

Temp (I have)

Verba

Zora

PEDIGREE INFO:

BELORUSSKY 3 SU 1989 JASEN x 1-67.17/6 N+B

BELORUSSKY KRACHMALISTY SU 1970 1834-20 x 1724-34

BELORUSSKY RANNY SU 1969 EPICURE x PRIEKULSKY RANNY

DOBRO SU 1987 70074-17 x 69423-83

LASUNOK SU 1988 KOMSOMOLEC 20 x 71019-7

NAROC SU 1986 1036-057 x 955-075

OGONEK SU 1969 AQUILA x 9170

OLEV SU 1956 VIRULANE x MPI 40.663/21

PRIGOZGY 2 N SU 1981 737-8 x MINSKY RANNY

RAZVARISTY SU 1966 OLEV x OKTIABRENOK

TEMP SU 1965 OLEV x ORA

VERBA SU 1981 ERDKRAFT x 2497-9

Quote:
Lasunok, Skarb, Lazurit, Raya, Delfin. From foreign varieties I can recommend Sante (from Holland) and Adretta (from Germany). Most of them are usually early or mid-early 'cause we have rather short growing season and a lot of deseases of Solancee. Raya
PEDIGREE INFO:

SKARB BLR 1997 315-17 x 1-78.28/10 N

LAZURIT BLR 1997 77559-65 x 2X-76-9N

DELFIN POL 1946 177/38 x STARKERAGIS

SANTE HOL 1983 Y 66-13-636 x AM 66-42 (I have)

ADRETTA DDR 1975 LU. 59.884/3 x AXILIA

Tom Wagner
Redmond, Washington
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote