View Single Post
Old June 27, 2012   #65
Elizabeth
Tomatovillian™

I know we have a fantastic climate here, but it does create some gardening challenges When I read most garden books, magazines and seed packets I often have to shift planting times and sometimes methods. A lot of the things you probably grow in the spring and summer have to be fall planted and late winter harvested here to do really well and avoid bolting and disease (brassicas, peas, lettuce, carrots, beets and stuff). I have a couple Southern California specific garden books that help, but I'm always wanting to try things outside of their recommendations...like growing rhubarb, parsnips, and even melons here in the marine layer zone so I see what I can get away with by trial and error.

From past experience it seems to be the extended summer warmth combined with the lack of winter cold that does the rhubarb in, so I'm not sure your idea would work, but I might try it with some roots of particularly nice ones if they seem hardy enough to lift in the Fall. My poor family, if it's not parsnips and rutabagas, it's flower bulbs, and now maybe rhubarb roots hogging up fridge crispers!

Even if I have to replant rhubarb each year there are definite benefits to gardening here...I have a couple of tomato plants out there that I started from seed last August 1st that are producing again after taking a short winter break....perennial tomatoes, now we're talking!

If I'm going to water and care for a plant it had better give me food, flowers or shade.
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote