View Single Post
Old May 31, 2012   #26
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktutt View Post
It's the interpretation of the Dept of Ag that if you cut the produce you are 'processing' it and you need a food processing license/inspected facility/etc.

A few of the markets apply the common sense rule and turn a blind eye, but most do not.
This is an issue that is very near and dear to my heart, and something that I think is worth fighting for change.

Being unable to cut up a fruit or vegetable and provide a sample to the public is ridiculous. As others said above, heirlooms really need to be sampled/tasted to attract attention. Otherwise, people buy what they already know -- round red baseballs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keger
dont really see a reason for taste tests, the folks seem to know what they want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keger
I kinda think its a good idea to give them what they want, plus its a lot easier to grow.
If people are only familiar with Walmart, they may not be aware that there are higher quality products.

As I said in your other threads, it is perfectly ok if you sell the typical red round tomatoes to the general public and they are happy with it. But depending where you sell, or your market audience, there is the possibility of educating the public and getting them engaged in what you are growing and selling. And you can also sell at a higher price. I never go to a farmer's market expecting to pay $2 a pound for whatever. I am looking for high quality produce FIRST and then I decide if I can afford the price.

I am actually interested in where my food comes from, how it was grown, etc. But I do realize that most people either don't know, or don't want to know.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote