View Single Post
Old January 31, 2006   #7
bcday
Tomatovillian™

Mama Leone and Yasenichki Yabuchar are both on my must-grow list -- good eating and great production.

Craig, you posted something on GW last year re "growout project color for 2006 may be green", are you still planning to do that project? I would be interested to hear how the various greens compare to each other. Besides Humph which I grow every year, I've only tried Green Grape, which I didn't care for, and Cherokee Green, which needs another trial because it didn't do well when I grew it for the first time last year.

Here are some descriptions, hope they help:

Mama Leone:
75 days, indet., regular leaf, 5-6 oz. red pointed plum shape, high yield. An all-purpose sauce and salad tomato that was the only variety grown by an immigrant family who brought the seeds with them from Italy many years ago.

Humph:
80 days, indet., regular leaf, 7-10 oz. beefsteak, pale green juicy flesh, sweet fruity flavor.

Yasenichki Yabuchar:
70 days, indet., regular leaf, 5-6 oz. (some up to 9 oz.) round red fruit, sweet, juicy, very high yield. This name may be an alternate spelling for Jasenicki jabucar.

-- BC --
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote