View Single Post
Old May 19, 2012   #210
AZRuss
Tomatovillian™

I've heard of the toothbrush trick. Maybe I'll try that with the Lucky Crosses, which I REALLY wanted to do well. (I tasted my first Lucky Cross at the Hollywood Farmers Market last summer and just about died--best tasting tomato, EVER, for me.)

I have had even worse luck planting out in August. Because of where I live in suburbia I have to use containers (I use EarthTainers and Earth Boxes) and there is just no simple way to keep the soil temps cool enough. The poor little plants just sit there. They don't die. They don't grow. They just sit there, hot, and drink water. Finally in October, growth begins but alas, it's too late. Light is diminishing and the chilly air (usually) sets in before any serious fruitsetting can begin.

Thanks for the encouragement, though. I really appreciate it. Honestly, I could take the amount of money I spend on this hobby and get more heirloom tomatoes more often at Whole Foods. Sheesh! So frustrating. Or, I could move back to Southern California. Anyone have a winning lottery ticket to give away?
AZRuss is offline   Reply With Quote