View Single Post
Old May 17, 2012   #63
tedln

Red,

Not having a problem with fusarium, I've been able to keep my fungal diseases under control even in humid weather in the past. I'm not very concerned at this point with the exception of sun scald on those tomatoes totally exposed to the hot sun. I'm growing some cucumber plants up the cages to provide shade and it seems to be working. I expect 50% of my plants to die in the extreme heat from exhaustion, but I am ready to replace them. I tried this year to select some varieties which supposedly have some tolerance to the heat. I typically will prune most of my spring plants back almost to the ground leaving a few healthy suckers near the bottom. The suckers then grow back to strong, healthy, productive plants for the fall. Normally, when our daily temps approach 100 degrees; most of my fungal problems recede and I don't have to battle them through the hot summer even with the humidity. Of course, every year is different. At the end of each season, I think I have it all figured out and I am ready for the next year. The next year always brings a new set of problems to figure out. I think that is why I enjoy gardening.

Ted