View Single Post
Old May 6, 2012   #29
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcottomsvcs View Post
I love the Italian frying peppers, Marconi does well for me, but it takes a long time to produce. This year I am trying to make my own paprika with Alma paprika peppers. Growing fish peppers for the first time, they will be in the front border because of the beautiful varigated foliage. I gave in an planted some Chinese Giant bell peppers, so that I can have some peppers to tied me over until the frying peppers kick in. Also some jalapenos for salsa.

Has anyone out there made paprika?
I grew Cyklon peppers last year, dried them and ground them up for paprika. It was easy and very tasty, much better than the stuff you get in stores. While the heat was quite variable from pepper to pepper, it usually had a nice mild to medium heat over the season. We loved it on stuff like mac n' cheese and casseroles.

I have heard that there are better varieties for paprika, Can't remember them at the moment, but it seems like the Alma Paprika was one that rated pretty high. With paprika in the name, you would certainly think so!

I'll keep my Cyklons because I'm satisfied with them. (And because the one I overwintered has a bunch of green ones on it right now. A bird in the hand....you know.)

I'm also trying the Fish this year, so maybe we can compare notes later. I hear it's very hot so it may be out of my league. But I figure I'll just add less. The leaves on my plants are already showing that beautiful variegation, so at the very least, they should be beautiful in your border!
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote