View Single Post
Old May 4, 2012   #9
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

I love sweet crispy Sheepnose Pimentos! For fresh stuffing they can't be beat! And of course being from the land of real pimento cheese...

Those big sweet red Giant Marconis from TGS are awsome! As are the Giallo de Cuneo - sweet yellow horns.

I love the long thick cayennes for fresh eating & canning w/peach & apricot jam & spiced peaches & hot sauce. They have a mellow sweetness with spice but not as hot as regular cayennes (used the same)- both a mainstay in my garden.

Fish peppers are not only incredibly tasty in a pot of boiled or pickled shrimp - they have variegated foliage & growth habit that makes them utterly lovely deck plants (right along with Lime Green Salad tomato plants).

Slonovo Uno is another sweet favorite.

Hinklehatz peppers are wonderful for hot vinegar for greens & in fruit jams. They are hotter than cayennes so I use them to make hot pepper mustard (known as crack mustard down here).

Mirasols are nice too - about as hot as cayennes but with a fruity aroma more than a taste. They grow pretty w/the pods pointing upwards. Gotta pick when ripe - they can get soft like serranos when real ripe.

Wenk's Yellow Hots are wonderful too - I thought I was getting some in a trade this spring but it didn't come to pass. Next time I'll save seed.

And how can a person grow a garden w/o at least one naughty Peter pepper? I grow them in red, orange & yellow now. They are about the same heat as crushed red pizza pepper & grow rampantly & humorously. Always have several prominently in the yard (this year one will be on the deck too).

Peppers. I love you.
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote