View Single Post
Old May 3, 2012   #53
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_willus_d View Post
Babice, I'm right there with ya. I've got 20-something Basil sprouts in a cup under light right now. I'll be breaking them out to transplant to individual cups sometime this coming weekend. I hope to have that basil interspersed between each tomato vine. There should be room for them. I also have thyme, dill, and something else I can't recall. I love herbs and need to get them out!
Awesome! I'm doing the same with the basil! Now on the dill (again - please, please forgive me if you already know this) - do NOT let the dill flower if it's close to the toms. Toms like dill but only when it's immature... NOT when it's flowering. Thyme - yes, very good. Also - rosemary. I have good success with rosemary attracting bees. Someone on this site said "rosemary is bee crack". Break down and buy an already grown rosemary from your nursery and put it close to your toms (not as far away as your lavender or you'll have the same problemo). It beats all that trouble you're talking about going thru with the "vibrating brush"! Right? Oh - something else - put in some carrot seeds and let the carrots flower. Bees like those flowers. Put them in there in a row right in front of the toms. I don't do that for the sake of the carrots. I do it for the sake of the bees (you can also get Queen Anne's Lace which is actually where we used to get carrots from).
babice is offline   Reply With Quote