View Single Post
Old August 31, 2006   #26
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Well, I've changed a few things when doing my second batch of seeds...

1 - Different seed-starting mix. I started with some heat-sterilized Walmart mix.. Baked it in the oven at 180 degrees for about 10 minutes.. then added it to pure peat at a ratio of about 3 parts peat to 1 part wally mix. nice and dry of course, so I wetted it with some 1/8 strength MG solution so it was just barely damp. I then placed seeds into it and sprayed them with a little water and then covered them about 1 millimeter deep.

2 - I had started with just ONE shop lamp setup in my little seedling closet using 2 Phillips cool-white plus bulbs.. old ones at that. I ADDED a second new shop light setup and replaced all bulbs. I now use 1 Phillips Cool-white plus and 1 Phillips Daylight Deluxe bulb in each. What a difference in color temp! Brighter and MUCH better!

3 - Taking advice from Suze, I watered all my existing seedlings with a dilute mixture of hydrogen peroxide (1 part 3% hydrogen peroxide to 12 parts water). I also mixed in just a tiny bit (about 1/10th dose) of MG and the tiniest bit of epsom salt.

The results? The older seedlings have started showing some new life. They are finally showing green in their leaves, as opposed to the horrible yellow look that they were stuck with.. The new seedlings are all green and healthy and growing at a decent pace. I also have had a much better germination rate.

Thanks to all who have helped!

- Eric