View Single Post
Old April 10, 2012   #3
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Hi Jeff,

Just a few thoughts from my admittedly limited experience. I first started growing herbs in ernest only about 8 years ago.

For me herbs seem slow to germinate and slow to grow... initially. IME starting them twelve to fourteen weeks pre transplant would not be excessive. Cilantro being leggy.... It does that falling over act for me even when I direct seed it. It should be fine. Parsley seems to like to do that to some extent too. Just avoid over watering. The Basil on the other hand will stay nice and stout if not down right squat. As far as feeding... Did you see any response from the guano (I assume tea)? If they have been out as long as my tomatoes (say 6 weeks plus?) and I am feeding them I will feed the herbs too. I use peters house plant fert at half strenght at each watering at this point.

I have found the sooner the herbs get out in the garden bed the sooner they will take off and grow. Even though they haven't a lot of roots I would go ahead and try to get them into the garden once frost concerns are past even if it means I have to use a tea spoon to scoop them out at transplant, potting mix and all. Then keep them well watered until I see them stand up a bit. Then they will start jumping with the first good streak of 70 degree weather.

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote