View Single Post
Old April 4, 2012   #9
John3
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by John3 View Post
Ami I have tried their product it is good but but they are hot pressing their seaweed (so they told me a some years back) - unless they are now cold pressing the seaweed.
It doesn't seem to matter about fish fert being hot or cold pressed.
From what I have gathered researching hot and cold pressing of the two.
That's why I started using Saltwater Farms seaweed - it is cold pressed
I am editing this after mush searching on their products I found this:
Quote:
Neptune's Harvest...
Uses several species of fish
Neptune's Harvest is made from several species of edible North Atlantic Fish remains (the part that is left after the fillet is removed for human consumption). Several species are better, because each species has a different nutrients analysis profile, so you get a full range of nutrients, vitamins, amino acids, enzymes and growth hormones. We mix all the Hydrolyzed Fish in a 10,000-gallon mixing tank before it is pumped into holding tanks. This process ensures a very consistent product from day to day and year to year. The fish we use are caught a minimum of three miles from shore and usually much further, in the icy, clean waters of the North Atlantic.

Quote:
Neptune's Harvest...
Cold processedNeptune's Harvest is cold processed all the way from start to finish. The fish is converted through the grinding process and by the naturally occurring enzymes that continually break down the fish into a liquid. These enzymes are still alive in our final product as well, so they are there to keep your soil alive. We then screen it to take out any remaining bone particles. Nothing else is removed from the product, and the only thing added is phosphoric acid to stabilize. It is more expensive than sulfuric or formic acid, but it is safer to use for our employees and yours and is something the plant needs anyway. This is why our phosphorus is higher than fish emulsions, on the analysis.

http://www.neptunesharvest.com/emulsions.html

I just read something I didn't know about fish fert at the Neptune site
Quote:
Emulsions...
One type of fish (trash fish)
Emulsions are made from so-called "Trash Fish" (fish that Americans won't eat), usually Menhaden is used. Menhaden is caught in harbors and rivers on the coast and are exposed to coastal pollutants. Also, lake fish used could contain Mercury and PCB's.

John3 is offline   Reply With Quote