Thread: potting up
View Single Post
Old April 3, 2012   #6
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
I solved my potting problems this year by getting plastic beer cups from the dollar store and punching the holes by hand. They are taller than the classic 3 or 4" pot, so lots of room for deep roots, and they don't take up as much space in the tray, so I can cram more plants under the lights.

The cups are very inexpensive, and punching the holes (while watching TV) was nearly as therapeutic as the transplanting itself. I used the 16 oz cups for tomatoes, and a 9 oz cup for the peppers... 30 for $1.

I have been using the drink cups from the dollar store for a number of years now. They work well for me. I use the 16 oz for peppers and tomatoes. Here they are $2 for a bag of 39 cups. I use a long drill bit and drill bottom holes in a whole stack of cups at once, three 1/8 inch holes per cup. They come in blue and red with white interiors or as a translucent plastic. I like the translucent as you can see some of the root development and can actually see moisture level/saturation when you water.

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote