View Single Post
Old April 2, 2012   #22
babice
Tomatovillian™

Hello - my favorite book on this is "Carrots Love Tomatoes". It is this book that prompted me to both (1) plant basil, garlic, onion, carrot, parsley, rosemary, sage and thyme with toms (when they were in the earth versus containers)...also had mint growing nearby and (2) plant marigolds, onions, garlic, parsley, etc. with roses. Last year, I had parsley and carrots planted together to the left of the toms...all the caterpillars stayed on the parsley (some lovely ones in fact) and didn't eat it enough to the point that I didn't have enough parsley for our own personal use. I had 3 basil plants in the row between the tom rows; I had a garlic growing between the toms and a chive growing very close. I also have asparagus in the middle of where I had the toms along with the basil, sage and rosemary I mentioned - maybe it was luck but I never had any problems on the asparagus with insects.....not even the japanese beetles that swarm every year. I'm not planting my toms in the ground this year. I'm experimenting with containers. So I'm going to put some dill under a tree out in the yard and let it go to seed to attract bees, etc. I'm going to have borage growing nearby. And I'm going to put garlic, onion, 1 carrot seed and 1 parsely in the container with the toms this year.
babice is offline   Reply With Quote