Thread: Bargain!
View Single Post
Old March 31, 2012   #3
camochef
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
Good deal! I bought mine on Amazon for $34 with free shipping about 6 months ago. Mine is the lodge brand.
I then replaced the handle with a Le Creuset handle so that it can handle high heats for bread baking. Makes a very nice, crusty loaf of bread without having to bother with steaming.

I also have the lodge 6 qt which I like alot but mine cost almost twice what you paid. So you did well, too!
I've never made bread in any of my dutch ovens but perhaps sometime in the future. I like using my Cloche or Long Baker from King Arthur to do most of my breads. I fill the lids with water for about 15 minutes before baking and then drain and place on bottoms, it steams automaticly that way and you get wonderful oven spring.
Of course my french breads get done on the perforated french bread pan and I steam the oven every thirty seconds with a mister plus keep a pan of ice cubes on the floor of the oven.
Baking artisan breads is what got me interested in this entire adventure after becoming disabled years ago.
Enjoy!
Camo
camochef is offline   Reply With Quote