View Single Post
Old March 29, 2012   #5
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
I found Peditree put out by Wageningen Univ. and Pedigraph from Univ. of MN. Might try playing around with them. The breeders and field folks at work use PRISM, but I don't need that kind of power or the expense that comes with it!

There's got to be something better than Excel. Google returns many apps aimed at amateur animal breeding...guessing those don't handle selfs well though.
Chris-

This sounds like something that could be built and not too terribly difficult to build. If I understand what you are wanting it is a database that stores the data on each variety and the successive filial generations? And then you need a way to look at the data so you would want something that would run queries on the database? And it is NOT designed for multiple users to be entering data in paralell, but it is just for one person to use at a time, at a home garden or a single garden site?

If it were me, I would build it with Perl script and store the data in a MySQL database but that is because I like Perl and I am a nerd.
A sad, perl-loving nerd.
But you could just import the MS Excel files into an access database. Then you can run queries in access to look at the data you want. You can also export that data back into excel if you want to.

I would recommend the book Access Database Programming by Steven Roman if you wanted to do it yourself. I like your idea of making something like this. If I were to make something like this, I would definitely give it to you. If you happen to have any database programmer friends, perhaps you can bribe them into making it for you. OR maybe there is someone here on this forum who has already done something like this with Access?
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote