View Single Post
Old March 28, 2012   #48
chiefbeaz
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasrockgarden View Post
I have a Craftsman 4-cycle that does a good job.

I have replaced the fuel lines and the primer bulb because they rotted out and started leaking. I learned to not leave the tiller sitting out in the sun all summer.

With my 4-cycle there are instructions in the owners manual to adjust the valves every so many hours of operation. When the valves are out of adjustment and the engine heats up they run poorly.

There are some 4-cycle 2-stroke engines out there that require gas and oil to be mixed. Most of the mini-tillers I looked at before buying the Craftsman were 4-stroke engines with a crank case. The crank case on my Craftsman holds only around 3 oz of oil so I have to check it every time I use it.

Texasrockgarden, unless things have changed in the last few day there is no such thing as a 4 cycle 2 stroke engine. A 4 stroke engine has a piston and valves, you don't mix oil with the gas unless you are trying to foul the spark plug out. A two stroke engine has only pistons and no valves. They have ports cut into the cylinder that does the same job as valves on a four stroke. You do mix gas with the oil on two stokes only. Some two stroke engines do have a oil injector tank on them where you don't have to mix the gas and oil together. Not trying to be a smart ***, just want to explain there is a four stroke engine and a two stroke engine, not a 4 stroke 2 cycle one.
chiefbeaz is offline   Reply With Quote