View Single Post
Old March 20, 2012   #14
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
... I think the point is that studies have shown that Glyphosphate does create problems with plant-associated microorganisms in the soil and this is why Dr. Huber is raising the flag and saying we need to reevaluate this product and conduct more studies.

The application of Glyphosphate (RoundUp) has nothing to do with the size of the growing area whether it be a square foot garden or a several thousand acre commercial farm as the end result will be the same and that being it does cause problems with the microorganisms in the soil.

I can see to a certain extent why commercial farmers are using the product due to increased production and lower costs but for hobby gardeners I can't see any justification unless they are unable or just to lazy to pull weeds out of their gardens. Ami The application of Glyphosphate (RoundUp) has nothing to do with the size of the growing area whether it be a square foot garden or a several thousand acre commercial farm as the end result will be the same and that being it does cause problems with the microorganisms in the soil.

I can see to a certain extent why commercial farmers are using the product due to increased production and lower costs but for hobby gardeners I can't see any justification unless they are unable or just to lazy to pull weeds out of their gardens. Ami

Respectfully, I have to disagree.

In that article Dr. Huber states that there is a belief that some problems in livestock traced to a newly identified pathogen being found in livestock feeds can be traced to what he believes to be a naturally occurring and normally benign organism that has taken advantage of genetic susceptibilities in plants created by the widespread use of glyphosate tolerant Genetically Modified Organisms in commercial agriculture.

He also inidcated that the degredation profile of glyphosate varies by soil type. Under some conditions it can build up in the soil. That can cause problems and needs further research as it can cause problems for susequent crops in th event of reactivation. Additionally it has various biocidal properties on organisms in the soil, the potential implications of which need more study.

Dr. Huber said and touched on a number of things and issues in that article, mostly indicating the need for more secure research funding and more prudence and caution in regulatory decisions regarding GMO. The problems they are seeing are symptoms of conditions facilitated by glyphosate resistant GMOs.

GMO is the catalyst. Remove GMO and you select some other alternative. Combine GMO with any other insecticide/herbicide/fungicide, etc. ... well I postulate that you will end up in a similar place of unforeseen consequences, some good and some bad, both of which are subjective judgements.

There is no clear cut right or wrong here, only choices (IMHO that is...)

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote