View Single Post
Old March 17, 2012   #194
ArcherB
Tomatovillian™

Default Thanx for the tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post

And you may have now created another problem of too much wicking as the Landscape Fabric, while being water permeable, does not wick water as your cloth sheet will. In essence, you've created a 14 inch by 26 inch wick along the entire bottom of the Aeration Bench.

Can you un-do this and use the material I recommended?? I put a lot of thought and "science" into the design and use of the EarthTainer which the cloth sheet violates.

Raybo

You've done an awesome job with these things, Raybo and do not doubt your designs in the least. My inability to follow your designs to a T was not based on your designs, but funding. I had to reuse whatever supplies I had laying around the garage and an old sheet was the best I could come up with. The wicking pond basket for me is a couple of recycled Cup-O-Noodle soup bowls. Times are tighter around here than they've ever been and I blew my annual budget on soil for a new bed. My accountant has shut off my garden funds.

I can't remove it as it already has plants in it. Fortunately, they are doing quite well, better than the ones in the ground anyway. I've even got fruit set on one. I'm sure that the roots will get into the reservoir, but there's not anything I can do to stop it at this point. Besides, we are talking about 5 plants out of 32 so it's not like I'm depending on these things to make or break my season. These are really more for testing as I plan on adding two or three containers a year. The only thing growing in them this year are sauce tomatoes so it won't break my heart if they don't do well.
ArcherB is offline   Reply With Quote