View Single Post
Old March 15, 2012   #186
DarrylJR
Tomatovillian™

Lowes no longer carries the DuPont 15 year landscape fabric. Instead they are now carrying Jobe's Basic Fabric and Jobe's Premium Weed Control Fabric ($13.78 for 50' x 4').

Has anyone used Jobe's fabrics and can comment on it (compared to the DuPont landscape fabric), specifically as a barrier between the grow material and water reservoir to prevent roots from entering the water reservoir and getting tomatoes that have hydroponic taste?

DuPont is changing distributors to DeWitt Company, Sikeston, MO. DeWitt told me that they have no stock yet and that they know of no place where the DuPont fabric can be purchased.

DeWitt carries a product that they said is very equivalent to the DuPont fabric, Typar Landscape Fabric. It comes in a 1.9 oz (Premium, 10 yr guaranteed) and 3.0 oz (Pro, 20 yr guaranteed) version. The 3 oz Pro version costs $17.65 for a 3' x 50' roll at Gempler's. Anyone have experience with the Typar fabric and can comment on it?

When I asked Gempler's if they knew of anyone with experience using Typar Professional Landscape Fabric in an earth trainer/earth box, they suggested Biobarrier 12"x20 ft. Root Control Fabric as the material specifically designed as a root barrier. This fabric is very expensive ($73.53 for 12" x 20' roll). However, it is designed to last 15 years (and to be permanently installed such around pipes). I think that the only way that I can justify that price is if I can reuse the fabric for several years. I have no idea how practical that is.
DarrylJR is offline   Reply With Quote