View Single Post
Old February 25, 2012   #109
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Time again for a weekly update (after skipping last Saturday). Been VERY busy outside getting 32 EarthTainers reloaded with Grow Media, Lime, fertilizer, etc.

Anyway, I took a "Command Decision" this week to pare down the InnTainers. As my Outside Iditarod Red has now set 3 fruit, I've decided to focus my time on the outdoor prep activities:

Weather has been in the low 80's this past week, and while we are in a cooling trend, no frost predicted for at least the next 10 days. Nightime lows of 45 seem to be about it.

So, back to the indoor InnTainers. As we are getting really strong sunlight now, I simply couldn't justify the Power Bill in running the HPS light system. I've now eliminated 2 of the 6 InnTainers (yes, Mano and Demidov were among those taken down), but the free Lumens from the Sun are now well able to grow the tomato plants in Rack #1 at the window.

Victorian Dwarf and now Mountain Princess (foreground) are producing ripe fruit:

Rosella Purple has set a disappointing 2 fruit only to date:

Like Naysen, I've had a number of blossom drops off the trusses:

On the other hand, Iditarod Red, which is in the same InnTainer, has been a real performer:

Several trusses with 5 or 6 fruitset!

Unlike Rosella Purple, the Iditarod Red is flowering prolifically:

(You-Go-Girl!!!)

The overwintered Peppers are doing well, and they should give me a jump on an early outdoor harvest this year:

One thing I should have been doing - - which is now easier, is to do "The Tainer Tango" and rotate the rack 180 degrees so the plants facing in, now get the direct sunlight. I plan to do this every other week from here on out:

And finally, here are the pickings from today:

They will be in the Dinner salad tonight!

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote