Thread: Gigandes Beans
View Single Post
Old February 25, 2012   #50
Petronius_II
Tomatovillian™

Okay, there's something going on here that I'm just not getting, Jeannine and others.

Thanks to Jeannine, I finally got off my butt and figured out that I do have fully recharged AAA batteries for the coin scale I've used for selling coins on Ebay, and after numerous rather comical trials-and-errors, I finally remembered the, um, Byzantine routine you have to go through to recalibrate the scale. Results, I can now get the scale to measure the 100 gram calibration weight as, well, 100 grams.

I get 10 of the beans I got from Dar, chosen at random so they're not all the biggest of the 20, as weighing 25.3 grams, which puts them well over Jeannine's specified weight criteria for Gigantes and Elephantes. My scale obviously doesn't measure whether they come from Kastoria or not. But they do average over 1.8 grams apiece.

Are you perhaps looking at the dry beans and comparing their size to the size of the moist, freshly shelled beans, Jeannine? 'Cause if so, that's not a fair comparison.

Last edited by Petronius_II; February 25, 2012 at 03:20 PM. Reason: italicizing for tone
Petronius_II is offline   Reply With Quote