View Single Post
Old February 24, 2012   #7
willyb
Tomatovillian™

Default Thanks for the comments

The design is my own for this greenhouse. The concept of building a plywood gothic arch is old. I think I first saw the idea in Mother Earth news about 35 years ago.

The plans are scribbles on my shop table. It is an easy build.

Layout a curve on a sheet of plywood or table or lumber. Drive nails on curve, as few as possible to bend plywood around. Rip 1/2 plywood into 1-1/2' x 8 foot strips. Place one piece on curve, add spacer blocks, set in other side. Glue and air nail, nail or screw all together.

I put 2 -1/2 trusses together in the shop and added shelving members. (5 trusses in 8' length) Wife and I set finished trusses on base.

The box on top is a vent. I will build air intake near bottom. (hinged frame)I thought it was a good idea at the time, but too much work. Next one I build for my sister will have a vent on the back wall near the top.

The $160 cost includes $20 worth of poly. I may use natural UV coroplast, that would add to the cost 7 sheets @ $16

I think this is a good design, particularly for Canada. It spills wind and sheds snow. Light, 2 persons can move it. Very strong. Easy to vent and heat.

I will plant tomatos on the north side in wicking rubbermaids on the ground and let them vine up the trusses. Lots of shelve space for my wife's flowers. Will hang planters from the top.

Tools I used - Table saw, band saw, skill saw, air brad nailer, screwgun

This structure could be built with a skill saw and hammer only.

Brad
willyb is offline   Reply With Quote