View Single Post
Old February 23, 2012   #11
MileHighGuy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyonenorth View Post
+2 on the container mix. If you get the mix "right" you're going to solve most of your problems before they arise. Unless you're growing in a greenhouse, or in a climate with virtually no precipitation (in other words, growing in a situation where you are completely in control of the amount of irrigation) you're going to need a well-aerated substrate. Mixes comprised of significant portions of compost, topsoil and other amendments typical of in-ground production are going to be way too heavy for containers. That said, since you're using organic fertility, you'll want to add a small amount of humus or compost - I'd keep it at around 10% or less. In the past, I've used a 5-1-1 mix of pine bark fines, peat, and perlite. This year, I'm using a 8-1-1-1 mix of pine bark fines, peat/humus, Turface (a calcined clay product) and perlite. The exact recipe isn't of primary importance - it can be tweaked to suit your local conditions and availability of material.
Thanks for the advice. I'll be Mixing the "Soil" with about 30-40% topsoil and then I will use lot's of bark and other organic amendments. So it will be mostly soilless. But all this talk has got me thinking....

Still no decisions... and I'm at work.

So tonight I'll post on here my Full Thoughts and share more insight as to how I will be selling the tomatoes and also feeding the tomatoes.
MileHighGuy is offline   Reply With Quote