Thread: Tomato Profits
View Single Post
Old February 19, 2012   #22
biscgolf
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktutt View Post
That's a lotta peppers! The post office is going to love you. I'll be interested to hear how the venture works out for you.

I was planning on growing primarily for pure seed this year with isolation cages and starting to sell seeds in the fall, but it's sure tempting to start a hundred each of the ones with big numbers that everyone is going to be looking for now, it's not much later than I started everything last year. Problem is the kids act like they're handling radioactive waste when I ask them just to bring me a bucket with peppers in it, I can't imagine them actually picking them. Although if prices are what they were last year I think that might motivate them...
i'm going in the seed biz in the fall as well. i can isolate about 10 varieties geographically by planting on the fringes of corn fields on the farm and am going to cage as many varieties as i can through the course of the season as well- i've been building cages this winter out of pvc and am going to cover them with shade cloth until i run out of it and then window screen.

dehydrators will run 24/7 from july through november most likely. window for shipping fresh pods is probably only september-mid november but dried pods can go all winter long. i also have a wholesale outlet for a big chunk of the fresh pods- $20/lb is the likely price there.

the guy i used to be in business with has 5 kids under the age of 11- last summer they came out and all 5 wound up with jolokia oil on them somewhere... everyone was screaming when they got in the van to leave including my former partner... hilarious.
biscgolf is offline   Reply With Quote