View Single Post
Old February 19, 2012   #1
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

Default Easy to make chili - good for diabetic people

Here is a recipe that is super easy to make, and it is good if you are diabetic because the beans are a carbohydrate that is digested slowly and are a way to reduce the glycemic index of your diet.

*Caution, if beans make you gassy, plan accordingly if you decide to make this for your family*

1 LB lean ground turkey or lean ground beef (you could also use a soy meat substitute, but check the sodium level in the substitute because many of them have higher levels of sodium than animal proteins, and the spices in this recipe do have sodium)

1 package (1.25 oz) reduced sodium taco seasoning mix

1 package (1 oz) dried ranch hidden valley salad dressing mix (dried in the package)

1 can (15 oz) black beans

(optional) 1 c frozen corn I omit this because I don't want the extra carbohydrates from it

1 can (15.5 oz) Northern beans, aka cannelloni

1 can (15.5 oz) pinto beans

16 oz chicken broth OR water OR 1 can lite beer

1 can (14 1/2 oz) tomatoes with chilies, I use Ro-Tel brand

1 can (14 1/2 oz) stewed tomatoes

Directions: Brown the turkey (or other meat) in a large stock pot. Drain excess fat. Add taco and ranch seasoning mix to coat the meat. Drain and rinse canned beans. Add to meat in the stock pot. Add all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Serve hot. I like to garnish it with cheese and sour cream.
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote