View Single Post
Old January 27, 2012   #12
Petronius_II
Tomatovillian™

You should try growing Anasazi beans. Certainly do better in heat than most other beans, and that definitely includes Kentucky Wonder. Don't have any idea if humidity would affect it adversely or not; my educated guess is, not.

I've always just grown grocery store specimens, which may not be that great an idea because of the cross-breeding thing. I've had grocery store specimens of Anasazi produce a bush version with occasional half-runners, basically indistinguishable from Jacob's Cattle, but if it produces the pole version, it produces abundantly. A bit late. Good for a green bean or a dry bean. Sometimes has a bit of a string if the pod gets old enough, but usually stringless.

I got some seed at the Food Co-Op last year that is from Dove Creek, the Colorado company that has the gall to somehow claim exclusive rights to use of the trademarked name they gave it. To me, the idea of trademarking a varietal name-- especially for an OP heirloom-- is nothing short of outright heresy. Their trademark is probably legally unenforceable, but it irks me that they'd even try.

Somewhere along the way, somebody concocted the fabulous story that it was grown out from archaeological specimens hundreds of years old, discovered in a sealed jar or some such, at a cliff dwelling or some such place, and and and... I don't believe it. Nobody's ever tried to document who was the discoverer. Don't ask me if Dove Creek themselves concocted the story. But it's a great bean, regardless of how it's almost certainly just a Southwestern heirloom that was little known until Dove Creek started marketing it.

Last edited by Petronius_II; January 27, 2012 at 02:49 AM. Reason: error correction
Petronius_II is offline   Reply With Quote