View Single Post
Old January 24, 2012   #4
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

It seems challenging to find any kind of dry beans that will produce in a short-season area (say 75 or so). Please correct me if I'm wrong, but with green beans they'll keep producing if you keep picking them, but with dry beans you need to leave the beans on until they are dry... right? So if that's true, it comes down to which type of plant will produce the most on the plant because they don't get to keep producing... right? Mostly I've only grown bush dry beans (and pole green beans) but wasn't pleased with the production of the bush plants at all. Last year, I tried Lingua di Fuoco (from Remy, sampleseeds.com) and they really produced a lot! I like that one because you can shell the beans and eat them fresh or wait until they dry. They filled out in a reasonable amount of time and kept producing until frost. I picked some green (and they seemed to keep producing) and let some dry on the plant. I planted them in a bed that I set up for "square foot gardening". I planted them 16 to a square (2" apart) along two sides of a 4' x 4' bed. I planted over a hundred plants. They did great. Suggestions as to other shorter season bush or pole dry beans would be most appreciated!
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote