View Single Post
Old January 21, 2012   #37
tedln

Worth,

I have my water well pressure vessel set at 60 psi. Even at 60 psi. I still must use small plastic or rubber orifices in each hose to control the volume. Since the water starts exiting the hose at about twenty psi, the hoses are never exposed to the full 60 psi pressure. I've converted most of my beds over to 1/2" diameter soakers and it seems to insure the available water reaches the far end of each hose before the water starts leaking from the hoses. With larger sizes like 5/8" diameter, the water would disperse easily near the faucet valve and never reach the far end of the hose causing uneven watering in the beds.

When we lived in east Texas, we were on a small community water system and my water bill alone would sometimes hit $100.00 per month for my small garden. The water company didn't control the pressure well and the primary pilot valve on the system would stick in the open position and the water pressure at my house would reach 100 psi. Most of my sink faucets would start leaking and the toilet water tank valves would start squealing. They didn't mind because they sold a lot of water when the pressure increased. They finally gave me a pressure control valve to insert between my house and the water meter. I once drove out in the country and found the primary pilot valve for the system and the water pressure on the low pressure side of the valve was 125 psi. I hit it with a hammer a couple of times and in about five minutes, the low pressure side was down to 60 psi.

Ted