View Single Post
Old January 21, 2012   #35
tedln

Worth, while I am sure grocery store tomatoes would probably cost less per lb. at $3.00 per lb., the garden tomatoes are worth every dollar I've spent on the beds. The other stuff like squash, onions, green beans, peas, lettuce, cucumbers, carrots, peppers, eggplants, and a few other things are like a free bonus. This has been my least expensive garden year in many years because so many of my materials are reusable each year. I do have to replace a couple of soaker hoses each year at $8.00 per hose. When I cut them in half to make two 25' hoses, I end up with new hoses for four beds for $16.00. I also just purchased 600 onion seedlings for about $15.00. I now have forty varieties of tomatoes growing under lights for my 2012 garden. I have six hundred onions planted and growing. I have five lettuce varieties planted which we will be eating in about one month. I have one radish variety and two pea varieties planted. In march, I will plant my squash (winter and summer varieties) and four cucumber varieties plus some pepper and eggplants. For all of the fresh vegetables, I have spent less than one hundred dollars this year including the cost of seed.

I am glad I have a water well, because I don't know if I could afford to pay a community water bill. In many communities, a sewer charge is added to a water bill since they believe most water purchased will eventually be in the sewer system requiring expensive treatment before release or reuse.

Ted