View Single Post
Old January 14, 2012   #9
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Hi Marko! How did your garden turn out?

I'm seriously thinking of doing this with all of my tomatoes, peppers and eggplants this year. Last year I found out that half of my garden is in the root path of a black walnut tree, (not good) and my entire yard was also taken over by vicious heirloom-eating voles. (Vicious, I tell ya, and impervious to any and all attack!) There were a few more issues, as well.

Seriously, since I've put so much work into my main garden bed and it's in the best space in the yard, I first thought about using grow bags. But with buying all of the soil and such, it was going to get pricey.

So a guy at one of the nearby nurseries said he grew his tomatoes last year in bales. He had great luck with them. He watered his bales very well about two weeks before planting time so that they would start to break down. He also stuffed Tomato Tone down into them. Is that similar to what you did?

Just wondered exactly what your methods were and how large your bales were. After the season, when you look back, would you have changed anything?
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote