View Single Post
Old January 8, 2012   #8
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

OneDahlia,

I'm growing eggplant, tomatoes, bell pepper, cayenne pepper, and onions.

The cayenne is planted next to the heater and they seem to love it.

The eggplant and bell peppers are the farthest from the heater (it gets about 10 degrees cooler on that end than the end the heater is on) and while the bell peppers are producing good tasting and normal size fruit, the eggplants each have about 6 fruit 2 - 3 inches long which haven't increased in size for the last 3 weeks. I think it's just a little too cool for them.

The tomatoes suffered from an attack of early blight, but I removed the diseased leaves and treated them with a multi-purpose fungicide and they're making a crop. No difference in taste, but slower to ripen and a little less productive than regular season tomatoes.

A few surprises:

I haven't watered in over a month. Apparently it's like a large terrarium with moisture condensing on the plastic and running down to the ground where the roots take up all they need from the edge of the frame and repeating.

Several of the tomato plants are touching the plastic and even though it's been down to 22 degrees twice and below 25 several times none of the leaves show any signs of frost damage.

This photo shows the tomatoes with early blight before being treated back in November. Claud
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cold Frame 11-18-2011 004.jpg (248.3 KB, 41 views)
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote