View Single Post
Old December 18, 2011   #9
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Having tried several dwarf varieties, I found them totally a PITA. I've also grown Red Okra and some others I'll call "exotic". I have settled down with Clemson Spineless. I harvest the green pods when they are ~3-4" long. They are perfect for soups, etc. and my favorite - Fried Okra (it's another one of those southern things).

Like stated above, you can top okra plants and develop a nice bush effect. It does take a little longer for the plants to throw a "sucker" or two and get back to producing pods.

I plant a "double row" of seeds utilizing about 20 feet of a row. The ===== type row has the two seed lines about 8 inches apart. I supply my own needs and then end up giving away a total of 3-4 bushels to friends, neighbors, and family. When it starts coming, you'll need to harvest about every two to three days.

What we can't eat during the harvest times is cut into little pieces and frozen for times like now, when the snow demons are blowing the clouds around.

If you haven't tried fried okra, you have something to look forward to. Lightly breaded in half and half flour and corn meal, salt and pepper, and slow cooked in some light oil like canola in a skillet. Serve when golden brown.

Dang. I made myself hungry again.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote