View Single Post
Old December 12, 2011   #36
seab3196
Tomatovillian™

Hi Medbury Thanks for the welcome. The tubers next to the pines grew just as well or better as the tubers on the other side of the patch.. Here is the remedy for that. Trees feed roots grow within the the top 18 inches of the ground. I use a subsoil plow and plow around the edge of the field and garden, down to about 28 inches deep. That cuts all the nuetriant sucking roots from the tree. You need a tractor to do that,, 30 or 40 hp or up is good. If that's not an option then rent a walk behind ditching machine and just cut a ditch where the trees are close to your growing area. They are about $75 a day here. I cut the roots at lest ever two years,, I do it every year most of the time.
It's so hot here the pines gave shade for about half the day and made it a little cooler
and the first couple of rows next to them actually grew larger on the average.
My main garden has huge trees around three sides. I've been keeping the tree roots cut for 30 years, and grow some of the best vegies right up to the cut root line. The tree roots grow back but it takes them a couple of years or more to get back to draining the nuetrients from the soil. If you are concerned about damaging the trees. I have not notice any slack in their growth, they seam to make up for the lost feed roots on the other side of the tree. I'm sure a lot of gardeners loose good growing areas due to trees.
If that's the case then this is the solution.
thanks Medbury
seab3196 is offline   Reply With Quote