Thread: Bi Color Gene
View Single Post
Old December 5, 2011   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudman View Post
Is the gene that gives a tomato bi color streaking attached to the colors of yellow/orange. It seems that most bi colors are yellow/orange with red streaks. Some of the "black/purples" have similar streaking but I was wondering why we don't get streaks of other color combinations.
Did you read the thread here about tri-color tomatoes. The question was asked about exterior appearance but most answered about internal traits.

Yes, the most common bicolors are the gold/red ones and I don't know the genetics.

I do know that the Pesta strain of Mortgage Lifter was a cross between ML and??? and is a gold/red bicolor.

And I know that the accidental cross between Brandywine and Tad in Craig L's garden led to both Lucky Cross and Little Lucky and both are gold/red bicolors. Tad is a small fruited variety that is yellowish/gold, with red stripes.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&cp=23&g...3dd057b5d0d747

I just Googled bi-color genes and suggest you might want to take a look at the link to Tomatoville which is not the link to this thread, as well as the one to Frogleaps Farm.

As Tom Wagner said in the first link, it confuses him as well, and I didn't take the time to read the second link which is all about genes of striped varieties. Frogsleap posts here at Tville, and perhaps he'll see this threat Title, but in the meantime you can read the link via Google.