Thread: Soup Recipes
View Single Post
Old November 2, 2011   #11
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Cozy Butternut Soup with Sage Croutons
posted by Cait Johnson
Feb 15, 2007 2:09 am

By Cait Johnson, author of Witch in the Kitchen (Inner Traditions, 2001).
Hurray! The weather has finally turned cool and drizzly, and I can‘t wait to make this simple, nutrient-rich autumn soup, cozy as a cuddle in a soft armchair. No worries about putting on extra autumn pounds if we indulge, either, because this creamy recipe may taste sinfully rich, but it’s dairy-free and contains only healthy fats. I sometimes add a chopped apple to the soup for extra sweetness, and my family likes it served with crispy sage croutons or roasted pumpkin seeds (recipes included) to give a tempting crunch. This is the soup to celebrate the autumn season, as brilliantly orange in color as the turning leaves and filled with the comforting beta-carotene antioxidants our bodies crave this time of year.

INGREDIENTS
2 tablespoons olive oil

1 medium onion, peeled and coarsely chopped

1 clove garlic, peeled and minced

1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (should be about 3 cups)

1 apple, cored and coarsely chopped (optional)

6 cups good-quality vegetable broth, more if needed

1 cup canned coconut milk, shaken well

Curry spices to taste, optional (curry flavors go beautifully with the coconut milk, but if I’m planning to use sage croutons, I forego the curry)

Directions
• Heat the oil in a large heavy-bottomed soup pot and add onion.
• Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, until onion is softened and translucent.
• Add garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until garlic is softened and fragrant but not browned, for a minute or two.

• Add squash cubes and stir to coat with oil.
• Add the apple and/or curry spices, if using.
• Add broth and coconut milk and bring to a boil.
• Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook for 20 to 30 minutes, until squash is completely softened.

• Puree in batches using a blender or food processor, or use an immersion blender, or simply squash the squash with the back of a wooden spoon if you prefer a chunkier soup.
• If soup is too thick, add more broth.

• Serve topped with sage croutons, below, (or roasted pumpkin seeds, a dollop of yogurt, or garnished with a couple of fresh sage leaves.

Serves 4 to 6.

Sage Croutons

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 slices good-quality country-style or peasant bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

2 tablespoons fresh sage, minced, or 1 tablespoon dried

• In a large heavy-bottomed skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
• Add the bread cubes and cook, turning often, until browned and crisp on all sides.
• Sprinkle with sage and cook another minute or two, until sage is fragrant.

Digg
StumbleUpon

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/coz...#ixzz1cYJARPS1
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote