View Single Post
Old October 25, 2011   #13
austinnhanasmom
Tomatovillian™

This is my third season with garlic. The first year was a bust. I cut ALL of the leaves in the spring - thinking they were scapes...

I will have to try the 4-5 week chilling next year. I chilled for 2 weeks.

Last year, I planted some in late Sept and some in late Oct. I was happier with the earlier plantings, but it could have been the barely amended bed (vs a well amended one) and not the planting times..

My Sept plantings yielded some incredibly sized cloves, in my opinion - especially for a first year planting.

I planted in four batches. The first batch was my own varieties from last year and the subsequent batches were new to me - 2 orders and a trade.

I have planted 45 varieties of garlic, 4 varieties of shallots and 1 winter onion.

My soil is nasty clay but I added aged manure a few months ago. Even the older, better amended, beds were nearly hard as a rock by the time I planted.

So, at planting, I made a map and dug a trench. I tried to carefully place the cloves and fill in so they would stay in place and be 6" apart. Some varieties have cloves popping up and the cloves shifted! I fear some are now too close together. I have found that, for me, a map and markers are essential. I used bamboo sticks for markers but think yanking them out is too alluring for my kids/their friends. Since the beds are planted, I'll measure where the bamboo markers are and document that...Last year, the harvested garlic varieties looked similar to this newbie. Only when I cleaned/removed the wrappers could I maybe tell the difference - and then not always. I don't care for my own use, but keeping them separate is necessary for trading!

Next time I plant, I will try to till the soil a month before planting and then dig a small hole for each clove (use a dribble??), keeping the surrounding soil intact.
We are due for freezing temps tonight, so I am frantically mulching leaves to create a blanket for the garlic beds. My trees are in denial of winter and keeping their leaves! Nothing like mowing the neighbors' yards for garlic mulch....
austinnhanasmom is offline   Reply With Quote