View Single Post
Old October 9, 2011   #27
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
Wow that's a lot of heart and soul into something you don't even eat! I have seeds for CG and Russo Sicilian Togeta for next year and I'm hoping to use them for sauce too. I think I eat more tomatoes in sauce than I do fresh and my kids aren't crazy about fresh tomatoes (older son likes them now and then) . I have some contraptions that are from ages and ages ago handed down from my grandmother for cleaning tomatoes...some sort of mills but they are really huge and I rarely use them. Then again, I don't make 3 gallons of sauce at one time, wow...
I made 14 gallons of sauce (I think...) I canned 48 quarts of marinara. These are my xmas gifts to relatives and friends (Thank God for UPS flat rate shipping!!! I will make my son tote it back to Wyoming and he will mail it out.) That is a heap 'o tomatoes, peppers, onions, mushrooms, herbs and meat! The "giant crock pot thingy" which is actually a Nesco Oven Roaster that applies heat from all sides like a crock pot. It holds 4 gallons really full (says it holds 18 quarts) so at least I can cook huge batches and get done faster.