Thread: Growing lettuce
View Single Post
Old September 23, 2011   #8
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancethegardener View Post
Hi Ray. So you generally apply foliar spray, is that correct? I have a (1-1-1) liquid solution that I can mix with water.
Also, when the seedlings are in the tray, how do you water them? Do you put the tray in a container and fill the container with water as needed? Because otherwise water from watering can/hose knocks the seedlings off.
Also, do you plant one seed in each cell or more than that?
What lettuce varieties are those in the picture? They look beautiful!
You can do it as a foliar, but I'm more interested in the root development so I put it right in the soil. If you spray it generously, I guess it would be like watering the soil from the top anyway. Otherwise put the 6 pack cells or 2" pots in a watertight tray and water from the bottom, less messy too.
One seed per cell?...no way. If you've got good seed, you should get at least 80% germination but not every one of the seedlings will be a keeper. I'll plant like 12 seeds per cell and take the best from what develops and plant each in an individual cells like Tania does. I always have more that I need, but that's better than not having enough. I give away some of my excess seedlings. For the spring planting in my garden I usually have 100 plants or so in the ground of different varieties and I don't have a huge garden. Lettuce grows fast and doesn't take up a lot of space, makes a good companion plant for slower growing crops and you can pick individual leaves at any time to make a salad. I let some plants bolt and go to seed so I have fresh seed for next year if I need it. Even one lettuce plant can make hundreds or thousands of seeds.

The plant on the left is Rouge Grenobloise, the one on the right is Red Deer Tongue. Both of these varieties are slow bolting, so they are some of the last survivors in July summer heat here.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote