View Single Post
Old September 12, 2011   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

4) Spadaro* (Thank you, Carolyn, for saving these fantastic tasting tomatoes)

Delighted to see that you grew it. it's kind of disappeared from the SSE YEarbook over time. I first listed it in 1993 and about the only person I know who continues to grow it from time to time is Craig LeHoullier.

I'm also glad to see that Tania offers seeds for it:

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Spadaro

There are so many great varieties that were once listed in the SSE YEarbooks that I think have been overlooked. And some of them are still there from time to time. So often folks want the newest, the latest, the trendiest, ahem, varieties, when so many ones already known are just plain overlooked.

There's a thread around here that was in the General Discussion Forum about this quite a while ago but I didn't bother to go looking for it.

The same person offered seeds of Rinaldo and Ernesto to others so I do know both of those.

As for ANY Mortgage Lifter, I think the hype for them, in general, has far out run the various so called strains, which aren't, but one that is is called Estler's Mortgage Lifter and I prefer that one over all the others. It looks like the Estler family were the ones who preceded Charlie Byles in coming up with something called Mortgage Lifter, but that's been discussed here as well so I'll skip over that whole subject ASAP.

So if you want to grow a good ML try the Estler one and other than that there are slews of great large pink beefsteaks to chose from to replace your ML.

Nice looking list, BTW, and at least you got some fruits off your plants whereas when I look out at mine I just want to cry, so go and eat some good chocolate.