View Single Post
Old August 11, 2011   #40
cloz
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon1189 View Post
Very amazing how a few thousand miles will make. I only have 5 tomato plants I guess that I am very lucky to report that "No Squirrels" bother my small harvest. I see the red "tree rats" I really think that it is all about the varmints being "Thirsty" in a drought situation .......... Just my own opinion here.
Your thirst and drought situation theory does not hold water here. We have had no drought this year. I've only watered my garden 3 or 4 times all year so far. There is a clean birdbath full of water within a few feet of the garden and there is a lake literally within a stones throw of my property. My lawn is green and I have not watered it at all. Usually it will brown out at this time of the year without water. Not this year. It only takes one squirrel to "show the way" for easy food and the rest learn.
If I only had 5 tomato plants, only the animals would have tomatoes. As I've said here earlier, one year I got a total of 5 tomatoes from 18 plants. The squirrels got the rest. The next year after removing a couple of dozen squirrels during the gardening season, I got over 200 tomatoes from the exact same number of plants. The chipmunks are a new problem the last 2 years and they are worse than squirrels.
cloz is offline   Reply With Quote