View Single Post
Old August 10, 2011   #51
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the follow-up Lurley. I had my first session yesterday (did not use your method), and it was quite the Herculean effort across the board. I left work early and started in earnest at 3pm finishing up sometime after 10pm -- no breaks. I made plenty of small mistakes, learned a lot, managed to heat my small house to temperatures reminiscent of 100+ degree weather (it was only in the low-mid 90s), probably added $25 to my gas bill, made a mess of the kitchen and cleaned it, and ultimately ended up with 7 quarts 1 pint of reasonably dense, though not so as yours, pure tomato sauce. I'm convinced something will have to do differently next time -- to much energy and work consumed and one can really taste the difference between slightly cooked and 5 hour reduced tomato pulp. I saved about 10lb of tomatoes for next time, to which I'll certainly add another ten in the coming week. I intend to try out your method (or something like it) in a much more modest endeavor soon. I'll post pics of my adventures later, as well as a description of the process I used, perhaps a roadmap of what not to do.
-naysen
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote