View Single Post
Old August 5, 2011   #20
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeless View Post
I have many suspicions that Burpee's is claiming hybrids on many heirlooms, and calling them their own.

My first suspicion was "Big Mama'.
At first I thought it might be Rio Grande, but after 3 years of side-by-side growing, I realized this was Amish Paste.

Same thing with Delicious and another that I forget the name.
Now Burpees is calling it Delicious.

There are many more. Black Cherry, Snow White, Pineapple, and more.

1 years replant will prove it's not a hybrid.
This just ticks me off a little bit.

Valerie
Valerie, if you do some searching here at Tville for Black Pearl and somthing called ty die something and Bloody Buthcher andadd the word bBurpee to the individual searchs, I know you'll find some interesting threads from many others who have no use for Burpee at all.

The issue isn't just misrepresenting OP's as hybrids, but offering wrong seeds for a stated variety wjether it be an OP or an F1.

Given all the wonderful seed sites available, some better than others, for OP non-heirlooms, OP heirlooms and F1 hybrids I don't understand why so many still buy tomato seeds from George Ball, aka Burpee.

What they do, as some others do, is to have a place custom develop something, unnamed, and then they name it. I'm pretty sure that the connection between Burpee and Petoseed is still strong starting years ago when Dr. Schifriss bred Big Boy F1 when at Burpee and one parent is the heirloom Teddy Jones, and then John Peto left Burpee, went to CA and startred petoseed and Better Boy F1 was bred there using the same Teddy Jones as one parent, which John Peto took with him when he left Burpee.