View Single Post
Old July 31, 2011   #7
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Wow, all kinds of great responses. Thank you all!

The idea of freezing had only occurred to me as an alternative to canning rather than a means of facilitating canning. This is the process as I see it (with a few questions embedded):
(1) As tomatoes arrive from the garden and reach optimal ripeness [is optimal for freezing then canning the same as it would be for just slicing or general use?], store them in the freezer in air tight zip-lock bags. [Couple questions here; (1) do you double bag them? What bags are most effective? (2) is freezer-burn a concern -- and doesn't the flesh of the tomato rupture in typical freezing making the tomato consistency change? (3) how long can one store the tomatoes in zip-lock bags in a typical (less than average) freezer before removal for canning?]
(2) Once around 25lb or so of mater-matter has accumulated, remove the zip-lock bags and allow the tomatoes to thaw on kitchen counter for ~2-3 hours. [(1) Must the tomatoes thaw entirely, center through, or is partial thaw sufficient? (2) Should the tomatoes actually be heated up before processing, as is normally their condition after blanching in preparation?]
(3) Once the tomatoes have sufficiently thawed, remove them from their bags and remove their skins (if desired). [(1) At this point, would it be best to quarter the tomatoes or keep them whole?
(4) Stuff the whole, peeled tomatoes into canning jars and process. [(1) Anyone have a few sub-steps for optimum processing of whole or quartered tomatoes in quart sized jars using the All-American pressure canner scheme?
(5) All processor to cool some, then remove jars and store in a cool location (no hotter than 70F) for no more than a year. [Is 70F really the upper bound for temperature. My house is more typically bound at 80F on the high-end, and at times can reach even higher?]

Alright, the above process is how I see this working, but I do have some questions mainly related to options. I don't see the benefit for myself in canning completed sauce as I tend to make my sauces different depending on what I'm cooking, so it seems that whole (or quartered) tomato canning would offer me the best flexibility. I wasn't planning on adding herbs like fresh basil/oregano, though I have plenty of both, for the same reason. That said, perhaps there is an advantage to canning with herbs in the way of infusing flavors.

Thanks again for all the insight and getting me started on this new branch hobby.
-naysen
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote