View Single Post
Old July 29, 2011   #51
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Hello raindrops27,

I am glad my posts have inspired you to try potatoes too! I am not a potato expert, my second year only.

Quote:
How big do you potatoes grow. Can, I grow them like you have, and still harvest big potatoes?
My plants grew, depending of the variety, anything from 18in tall to 36in tall. Some were tall and compact and some other sprawling and other wide. Once you get to know the variety can then adjust how the spacing goes etc.

For big potatoes I heard that spacing can help and maybe some folks know more about that.

Quote:
Is there a white potato that has a bit of sweetness, that can be used for fries, and or baking? Reason why I ask, I tasted a batch of "nathan'" fries, and they had a hint of sweetness to the potato. I am looking for a potato like that, and a blue round, I can use to for baking, salad, fries etc. A fingerling blue, white, or red, for roasting. A good reliable russet.
I seem to be partial to yellow potatoes, really like yukon gold, also think it does have a sweet undertone to it when fried but works well for roasting too. They grow big but not more than 3-5 per plant and it is tall plant and the tubers form near the stem. This year I hope to try Amey Russet and it may be just what you describe (good baking and french fry) I will keep you posted. The plant is not huge but sprawls a little.

Blue round? I am not sure probably want to try any of Tom's since they are pretty tasty.This year I have few blues for trial that don't know how they do.

Fingerling: red thumb is pretty good roasted or boiled, plant is tall and not sprawl... but skagit valley gold is very very good roasted or just boiled and the plant is small and sprawling. That one is yellow thou and not fingerling but round small. A white or reliable russet I don't have yet a recommendation...soon... since I am digging some this year