View Single Post
Old July 27, 2006   #10
annietomatomad
Tomatovillian™

Default Re: Asian Herbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelique
Hi All,

DH and I frequent Vietnamese and Thai restaurants quite often. If possible, I would like to know which variety of mint is used for Vietnamese type spring rolls. I would also like to know what type of basil is served with Vietnamese and Thai foods...(It doesn't taste like Genovese).

Thanks for your help.

Angelique
Hi Angelique,

I just checked out this thread and can help you out on this. I make these rolls very frequently. The type of mint used for the rolls are normally spearmint but you can also use peppermint.

As for the basil, it is Thai basil which has a slightly purplish stem. Next time you go to a Thai/Vietnamese restaurant and if you happen to order a noodle soup dish like Pho, they will serve you the basil and sprouts on the side, just take home a stem, start it in water, and once it roots, plant it in some potting soil. You'll have your own basil plant in no time. Besides these herbs, I normally also add purple shiso to my rolls. They are wonderful and have a distinct flavor and aroma.

Jerseyjohn, I'm almost certain that what you had was Thai Jasmine rice. They are very fragrant and very fluffy. Basmati tends to be more grainy and thin.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Annie
annietomatomad is offline   Reply With Quote