View Single Post
Old June 30, 2011   #15
Indyartist
Tomatovillian™

A quick update on the River Series that were part of my Tom Wagner / New World Seeds & Tubers 1lb sampler. As a reminder Indiana was experiencing non stop rains during April. I found one rain free day and hurried and tilled and planted the 17 assorted tubers that came as my 1 lb sampler, plus three sprouted store bought red potatoes (Red Norland) to make two rows of ten. The very next day we had tremendous storms that spawned tornadoes across the nation although my particular town was spared. We did get inches upon inches of rain which flooded and filled the trenched rows of potatoes that I had just planted.
Fast forward now to June, ultimately and unfortunately I lost three tubers, that is they never surfaced with sprouts. The three losses are, Lumper's Gold, Skagit Valley Gold and Manistiqua River Red.
All the rest appear to be doing well and most are flowering. I've taken lots of pictures of each individually but those are more fitting for blog post than a forum.
I just tonight have seen that the "Kern Brot" has set one small berry, so I hope it can hold on to maturity. Posted below is one photo of the rows flooded and then how the rows looked as of a few weeks ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg River Potatoes 1.jpg (237.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg North Row June 2011.jpg (306.1 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg South Row June 2011.jpg (299.4 KB, 52 views)
“Men should stop fighting among themselves and start fighting insects”
Luther Burbank
Indyartist is offline   Reply With Quote