View Single Post
Old June 27, 2011   #44
heirloomdaddy
Tomatovillian™

Agreed. Have two Paul Robeson plants in one hole this summer. They are going nuts. They seem to be trying to outdo one another. I will experiment further with this next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmanJohn View Post
No matter the variety you choose to plant I would suggest planting two plants in each hole. This will not produce as much as two separated plants but will produce more than a single plant. Hope that made sense... The tomatoes in my avatar to the left under my name are Brandywines (bought the original plant a few years ago at a local nursery that were simply named "Brandywine"). I counted my production last year for the first time. They are not all as big as the ones in the picture of course... I had two plants (four plants actually that were planted in two holes). I picked 120 Brandywines from these two (actually four) plants. I know that Brandywines aren't normally great producers but that's what I got last year. I have very good growing conditions with soil, location, light, etc and last year I got anywhere from 40 to 85 tomatoes off of each 'slicer' variety (again, these were all double-planted). The varieities that fell into this category I planted were Green Copia, KBX, Carbon, Hege and Brandywine.
heirloomdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote