View Single Post
Old June 27, 2011   #30
whistler
Tomatovillian™

There are 3 - 4 other raw vegetable sellers at my market (10 - 12 vendors total). They grow with high tunnels and greenhouses and on a much bigger scale than I do. I have to compete on differentiated product - in the past few weeks I have sold the raspberry canes (sold out both times), fresh horseradish, a few strawberries, cut flowers, heirloom tomato seedlings, other vegetable seedlings, and the cat grass / wheatgrass.

Some of those other farmers are bringing hybrid tomatoes already, along with cucumbers and other usual / normal vegetables. In a few weeks, I will have my heirloom tomatoes in all shapes and colors, plus red noodle beans, dragon tongue beans, rattlesnake beans, a variety of odd beets and carrots, and hopefully a large variety of peppers, hot peppers and eggplants. I chose to leave the “regular” items to the other vendors – if you come to my booth, you never know what weird and wonderful items I might have this week. For fall, I am growing huge Argonaut squash and the sweet potatoes that grew to the size of footballs last year (and still tasted like sweet potatoes).

This is definitely a learning experience for me, and next season I should do a lot better. I am practicing my selling technique, making lots of business contacts, and so far I have made money each week, which is pretty good. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions – keep them coming!

--------
By the way Carol, I got $2 / 3.5" pot for the cat grass ($2 each or 3/$5). I only sold 5 pots, but that covered my costs for the flat. Plus, I hope to have gotten some recurring customers.

I’m going to look into the radish pods – they sound interesting!
whistler is offline   Reply With Quote